Abdominoplasty, known more commonly as a “tummy tuck”, is the surgical removal of excess skin and fat from the abdomen and waist.
Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty)
Why is Tummy Tuck Surgery popular and what are the benefits for Men and Women?
It is normal for the skin of your tummy to sag downwards with the passage of time, and for it to bulge outwards as muscles lose their strength and tone. For women, the problem is most frequently a consequence of multiple pregnancies, but in men and women it can also be a result of weight loss, weak abdominal muscles or a hernia. This is where a tummy tuck or abdominoplasty procedure can help.
Once these changes have occurred, many people are unable to restore their youthful shape even with diet and exercise and turn to abdominal reduction surgery as an answer. A tummy tuck flattens and tones a saggy, protruding abdomen and gives the tummy a flatter, more attractive contour and – for women – a more shapely, feminine waistline. For men, a more athletic, youthful appearance to the stomach.
The Abdominoplasty “Tummy Tuck” Procedure
An incision is made across the lower abdomen, just above the pubic area, and another below the navel to free the surrounding skin.
Liposuction is performed in the abdominal area and the waist and the skin is draped downwards in such a way that the waist is emphasized and defined. The naval is restructured in its original position.
Loose muscles in the abdomen are then pulled together and tightened, repairing any slackness or hernia, producing a flatter tummy and a tightened waistline.
Mini Abdominoplasty or Mini Tummy Tuck
Patients with good muscle tone and minimal excess skin and fat in the lower abdomen may benefit from a “Mini-Abdominoplasty” procedure. An incision is made across the lower abdomen, just above the pubic area, and another below the navel to free the surrounding skin.
The navel is not disturbed with a mini-tummy tuck, and liposuction is usually carried out at the same time to reduce the thickness of fat in the abdominal wall. Loose muscles in the lower abdomen are then pulled together and tightened, repairing any slackness or hernia, producing a flatter tummy and a tightened waistline.
Will my consultation be with a surgeon?
All consultations take place with a surgeon. We believe that only a surgeon can help and advise you on the best procedure to achieve the results you would like.
During your initial consultation, we will ask you about the results you are looking for with a tummy tuck and explain the procedure so that you understand every stage of the process. The most important thing is that you feel completely at ease in our care and fully aware of the procedure and the resulting enhancement.
Our surgeon will cover all areas of the abdominoplasty tummy tuck including:
- Explain the procedure to you in full, including providing you with information about the expected recovery period and aftercare
- An explanation of all the possible side-effects, risks and complications
- An honest assessment of what is a realistic look to achieve and making sure your expectations match what’s possible
- Explain all of your options, whether that’s non-surgical or surgical. Alternatives may be suggested if it’s a better fit for you.
Are your tummy tuck consultations free?
All of our consultations are free with no obligation. You will be provided with advice about abdominoplasty and information relevant to achieve the results you desire.
What will happen after the Tummy Tuck Surgery?
Your surgeon will see you when you have recovered to check that all is well. Later on you will be fitted with a firm abdominal garment to provide support and reduce strain. As soon as you are fit to return home (usually the same or the next day) you will be discharged and given medication and post-operative instructions.
Bed rest with limited mobility for next two or three days after Abdominoplasty surgery is recommended. However, gentle mobility is encouraged as it helps to speed the healing process. Deep breathing exercises are also recommended.
Between 7 and 10 days after tummy tuck surgery you will also receive a check up and you can gradually build up your level of non-strenuous activity after this time
You may begin a light exercise programme around eight weeks after surgery to reduce swelling and improve muscle tone. Strenuous exercise, however, should be avoided until your surgeon advises you otherwise.
Your surgeon will see you again, usually 8-10 weeks after the procedure for a full post-operative consultation.
As long as you keep your weight relatively constant, eat a healthy diet, exercise regularly and follow your surgeon’s instructions on resuming physical activity, the long-term results from Abdominoplasty or tummy tuck surgery are generally excellent.
What should I consider before a Tummy Tuck?
- It goes without saying that you should research your surgeon; ensure they have experience in delivering good results with tummy tuck surgery and are well qualified. Linia Skin’s Dr Aslam is well experienced in this procedure.
- Research the different types of tummy tuck surgeries and take a look at some before and after results of the procedure. This will help you to manage expectations and offers a realistic look at your potential results
- Make sure you take your time in making a final decision. Cosmetic surgery is always potentially life-changing and you should take as long as you need.
- Write down any questions you have before a consultation and make sure you’re happy with the answers. Our surgeon will offer honest, professional advice and provide you with the correct solution for your needs.
- Consider your after care. Ensure there is somebody available to help you out with daily tasks you’re unable to do during the recovery period of a tummy tuck.
* Every patient is a unique individual and every surgery has unique aspects. Therefore, results may vary. To read our full disclaimer please click here.